FTSE 100
Dow Jones
Nasdaq
CAC40
Dax

Thursday 10 March 2011

Most home routers are crap

The BBC gives us the fascinating insight that home wi-fi is '30% slower' than fixed broadband, and go on to imply that this is something to do with sharp practice by the ISP.  Well no this is actually saying that routing data to your PC via a wired Ethernet connection, presumably from a router that is within 10 metres of the PC performs better than a wireless connection that could be anywhere in the house.

I would expect the wired connection to be good and efficient but the wireless connection could easily have data errors that require retransmission and other issues that slow up the speed. So obvious I don't know why I am posting this but we have to fight the dumbing down from the state broadcaster.

Actually I don't know what is meant by "30% slower".  How is slowness measured: seconds per bit, perhaps? I am sure the BBC don't know either.

No comments: